Monday, April 13, 2009

The Dark Underbelly of the Easter Bunny.

Saturday was OK: we cleaned the house all morning and stayed outside most of the afternoon. Late in the afternoon my brother arrived and it was time to pack 40+ plastic eggs full of candy. He brought the candy so I wouldn't have to buy it. :) I popped about 4 pieces of sugar-free gum in my mouth (so I would NOT eat the chocolate) and we knocked out the eggs in about 10 minutes. No biggee.

Saturday evening I made red velvet bunny cakes with cream cheese icing. Went through an entire pack of sugar-free gum on that one, but I made it. It is SO HARD to not lick cake batter and icing off your hands. Or the side of a bowl. Or the beaters. Or the spatula. Sugar traps are everywhere!

Easter morning I made a huge breakfast since Rus started a new Masters class yesterday at noon. Eggs, ham, cinnamon rolls, lots of cut fruit, and bunny cakes. I gave myself a smaller china plate and covered it with eggs and a little ham. My son asked for a cinnamon roll; I picked up the plate, pulled one off, set it on his plate ... and then it happened. A full 12 days of absolutely no sugar until this point ... I automatically licked my fingers after putting the cinnamon roll on his plate. The *second* that icing hit my tongue I knew what I had done. I ran for the sink and scrubbed my hands as if I had poison on them. My brother scoffingly said, "Oh, please. It won't hurt you. There's not telling how much sugar you've eaten this week that you didn't mean to." The table went silent. My husband slowly turned his head and said, "She hasn't eaten any sugar at all in 12 days. None."

So I made it through Easter! Up in one of the kitchen cabinets there's a Cadbury creme egg and a small bag of Robin Eggs waiting until May. I thought about freezing one of the bunny cakes, but instead let the children eat the last two for breakfast this morning.

But something's going on today. Maybe it's weather fatigue (we're under tornado watches 2-3 times a week now and it's getting OLD), maybe it's work fatigue, maybe I'm just a goober. But I can hear every single piece of candy in this house calling to me this morning.

1 comment: