Friday, April 10, 2009

Days 5-10: Get out and Stay Out.

Forgive me for focusing on the mini-vacation of last week, please. Between trying to enjoy time at the beach with my family, plus 3-4 hours a day of work on said vacation, plus willing myself to stay away from all kinds of goodies ... well, computer time wound up at the bottom of the to-do list.

Around Day 8 I noticed a change: I still *wanted* sugar and bread, but I didn't *crave* it any more. It was rather freeing, realizing that I might actually make it through this! A few things that helped:

* Greek yogurt. Only natural sugar in there, and it's really good.
* Sugar-free frozen yogurt. Only once, because it's too close to cheating (in my mind). But it was pretty darn good and did the trick one afternoon.
* Exercise exercise exercise. Three miles every day since April 1, sometimes more. One little trick: every time I want to eat sugar/bread, I do a quick series of arm or ab exercises, then drink lots of water. Simple, sometimes infuriating, but it's working right now.

The worst hurdles:
* Dinner at our favorite Italian restaurant on the island. Their herb-encrusted bread dipped in olive oil totally rocks. Their flatbread pizzas are amazing. I had a Caesar salad with grilled shrimp, no dressing.
* Cracker Barrel for breakfast. No bacon, no grits, no biscuits and butter. But my egg beaters omlette with spinach and tomatoes was pretty darn good. It's the learning to STOP after the healthy food that's a challenge.
* Mexican. No chips, no cheese dip. Two corn tacos and that's it. And they were gooooood.

An entertaining angle to this: I'm reading the Twilight series right now. With all it's talk about yearning, needs, wants, desires, forbidden desires, etc. - well, I snicker a little at the similarities.

Coming up next: Easter candy. To me, it's better than Christmas, Valentine's and Halloween comined. Peeps. Cadbury eggs with that luscious cream in the middle. Robin eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment