Saturday, April 4, 2009

Day 4: Beach air helps. A little. Kinda.

My Dad has this cool microwave thing where you can make poached eggs in about two minutes. I'm totally over scrambled eggs, so I tried it. Poached eggs need toast to sop up the runny yolk. Lacking toast, I nuked the crap out of the eggs until they were solidified. Crunch, crunch - yum.

Old habits die hard. We visited the Village on the island today - the site of past beautiful experiences with coconut cream pie, homemade ice cream and chai tea lattes. Not today, my friend. There's an art fair going on this weekend (really nice, if you ever happen to be down here the first weekend of Spring Break). But the art fair means kettle corn. And cinnamon almonds. Damn the vendors.

Lunch was at our favorite local place - but the carmelized walnuts and bleu cheese in my favorite salad forced me to other choices. A huge mixed green salad with tomatoes, cukes and tons of grilled shrimp wasn't too bad at all. My daughter ate a bowl of mashed potatoes with cheese, butter, sour cream and bacon mixed in. She and I are the eating-challenged pair of the family: she still can't eat hard or chewy foods with her new braces, and I'm terrified of anything with sugar or yeast. Nice. The Food Network should make a show about us.

Beautiful kite flying weather beckoned, so we hit the beach for about three hours. Rus and I walked for about 30 minutes - which was good. We played with a few dogs along the way - which was good. The children flew the kite several times and played in the (icy) water - which was good. But then it was time to leave the beach. "Mama, can we go get ice cream the way we always do after the beach?" Bam. Sideswiped, just when I was enjoying the outdoors.

My mother was most patient in the grocery store this afternoon, but I know I made her nuts. About five minutes to choose yogurt (Greek organic skim, thanks for the recommendation, Jen!) and another five to search the ice cream section for a sugar-free choice. Nada. Luckily, a few local organic farms are producing, so we came home with tons o'veggies. We bought some gorgeous strawberries, and I plan to eat some on Tuesday night when we celebrate my Dad's birthday. Something to look forward to, if you're sad and pathetic like me.

Dinner was good: my Mom's pork chops (I only ate half of one), fresh green beans and tomatoes. Both children asked for the Bear Claw ice cream from the store, and everyone else had vanished from the kitchen. So I served it for them, trying to pretend it was stinky dog food, and not dark chocolate ice cream thick with caramel and chocolate-covered cashews. Woof.

My parents don't have a fenced-in yard, so we get plenty of exercise here by walking the dog several times a day. Rus and I just returned from a three mile jaunt with the canine child. I'm counting on lots of exercise to keep me distracted and non-hungry this week.

The good news: I noticed this morning that my skin seems clearer and more glowy. And I've never ingested so much water in my life. AND ... I will not give in.

Greek yogurt with a few crushed up pecans is a really nice dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment