Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Feelings. Nothing more than ... feelings.

My friends Kim and Leslie have both asked how I'm feeling physically since dissing sugar, so here's the 411:

Way, way, way better.

In ways I didn't expect. My thoughts are clearer and the "fuzz" seems to have lifted from my brain. I have zero peaks and valleys during the day; no afternoon sugar crash, no nothing. Just nice and even. My energy level gets higher every day: after working 9 long hours yesterday, I walked 2.5 miles with Rus last night. And could have gone another mile.

Rus and I have been walking 2-3 miles every single evening (when it's not pouring). I added weights/cardio back in this week and while I'm sore, it's not hard. I'm focused on and enjoying watching my muscles develop and my shape slowly change.

It's easier to fall asleep at night then it's been in months ... even years. I sleep through the night and wake up rested. My moods are more level and I don't feel so wound up all the time.

My body doesn't need sugar, and that's what keeps me in control. I want chocolate, but I don't want the sugar high (and crash). I want bread (especially dipped in herbs and fresh olive oil) but I don't want the yeast in my system.

But please don't think it's still easy. The mad cravings and headaches are gone, but I love me some candy, and I want it every single day. Skittles. The Cadbury egg I'm hiding in my kitchen for later in May. My children's chocolate bunnies. Whoppers. Hot Tamales.

But something's clicked. I can see the difference going without sugar and yeast makes, and it's worth it. So I'll keep plugging foward until May 7, when I'm allowing myself one Cadbury egg. Then I'm back on the wagon until late May or early June, when I'll start adding fresh fruit back in. Those Georgia peaches are already calling my name!

PS - One lovely side effect: 7 lbs. gone since April 1.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Kim! GO GIRL! I'm so impressed. I had a hell of a time a few years ago breaking myself of a few daily trips to the HW candy bowl--you know the one I'm talking about. But it really was liberating. And it was mostly boredom or a random hunger pang that drove me to the candy bowl. Now I keep a bag of plain roasted almonds in my desk drawer, and a handful plus constantly drinking water really does stop any small feeling of hunger I get between meals.
    But no sugar at all? I'm so totally impressed. Stay strong! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete